This page captures the Dissemination Activities in the NCIGT U41.
- 1 Year 9 (June 1, 2013 - May 30, 2014)
- 2 Year 8 (June 1, 2012 - May 30, 2013)
- 3 Year 7 (June 1, 2011 - May 30, 2012)
- 4 Year 6 (June 1, 2010 - May 30, 2011)
- 5 Year 5 (June 1, 2009 - May 30, 2010)
- 6 Year 4(June 1, 2008 - May 30, 2009)
- 7 Year 3 (June 1, 2007-May 30, 2008)
- 8 Year 2 (June 1, 2006-May 30, 2007)
- 9 Year 1 (June 1, 2005-May 30, 2006)
Year 9 (June 1, 2013 - May 30, 2014)
- July 16, 2013: Live webinar: Hot Topics in Prostate MRI w/Dr. Clare Tempany
Year 8 (June 1, 2012 - May 30, 2013)
- May 29, 2013 6-730 pm, Whittier Street Health Ctr What Every Man Should Know About Prostate Health BWH Comm Learning Network Event Anthony D'Amico, MD collaborator with Clare Tempany, MD and potential referral source for clinical study patients for NCIGT studies speaks to men about prostate health and treatment options. DAmico Speaks at May 2013 Prostate Health BWH Network Event
- February 7, 2013 from 2:00 - 4:30. Instructional tour of AMIGO for approximately 50 Siemens employees connected to the Siemens HIKEC Meeting Agenda Siemens HIKEC Meeting at Brigham and Women 2_7_13
- February 1, 2013: BWH Bulletin File:Researchers Develop New Tool to Help Brain Surgeons in Operating Room.pdf
- December 7, 2012: WBZ News Story on AMIGO: Cancer Patients Avoid Multiple Surgeries
- November 30, 2012: BWH Bulletin on Breast Research in AMIGO: BWH Bulletin: Breast Cancer Procedure Could Prevent Repeat Surgery
- September 8, 2012: Living with Brain Tumors: A Focus on Gliomas Alex Golby Speaker.
Year 7 (June 1, 2011 - May 30, 2012)
- Spring 2012: Boston Globe Supplement: Globe 100 The Most Innovative in Massachusetts. Jolesz: Higher Vision for the OR
- April 23, 2012: Boston Globe: Brain Surgery That's Not Invasive
- March 2012: BWH Bulletin. An Inside Look: Researchers Design Capsule with Camera for Inside the Body
- Clare Tempany is representing the American College of Radiology on the committee to revise the ACR–ASNR–SPR Practice Guideline for the Performance of Non-Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Guided Procedures.
- October 12-13, 2011: NCIGT Workshop in Arlington, VA
- Summer/Fall 2011: NCRR Reporter Announces AMIGO Suite
- September 15, 2011: Clare Tempany, MD and Steven Seltzer, MD to participate in Prostate Cancer Awareness Day at Massachusetts State House Video for Day: NCIGT Video 2011 We are presenting a poster. See the Poster. Contact with Poster: Nancy M. Petkunas, Vice President, Client Services, Michael P. Wasserman, Inc, 349 Newbury Street, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02115. Phone: 617-262-3424 Email: email@example.com.
- July 19, 2011: Shyam Nataranjan, a graduate student at UCLA who is working on prostate imaging research came to visit NCIGT.
Year 6 (June 1, 2010 - May 30, 2011)
- September 24-25, 2010: Ferenc Jolesz Co-Chair, Clare Tempany, Noby Hata Faculty 8th International MRI Symposium, Leipzig | Leipzig Program and Abstracts NCIGT Abstracts include (pages refer to program):
- Noby Hata, MRI-guided robotic drug delivery, p. 82-85.
- Noby Hata, Robotics in MRI-guided therapy, p. 125-127.
- Clare Tempany, Prostate MR-guided interventions. p. 156.
- Kemal Tuncali, Noby Hata, Andriy Federov, Fiona Fennessy, Dan Kacher, Soto Oguro, S. Song, Y. Tang, Clare Tempany, Clinical Feasability and Initial Results of Targeted Prostate Biopsy in a Wide Bore 3 Tesla MRI, p. 160-162.
- Ehud Schmidt, Scott Hoge, Clare Tempany, Kim Butts-Pauly, L Qin, CL Dumoulin, J Santos. Improved prostate-cancer staging with an integrated endorectal/tracking coil assembly. p. 163-166.
- June 23-26, 2010: Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS'2010). Abstract accepted. The abstract for CARS 2010 has been accepted. Registration is due on Mar 3rd and final abstract upload is by Mar 11th. S. Song, N.B. Cho, J. Tokuda, N. Hata, C. Tempany, G. Fichtinger and I. Iordachita. MRI compatibility study of a pneumatically actuated robotic system for transperineal prostate needle placement. Proceedings of the 24th International Congress and Exhibition on Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS'2010), Geneva, Switzerland, June 23-26, 2010.
Year 5 (June 1, 2009 - May 30, 2010)
- February 15-19, 2010: MGH/BWH MRI 2010 Clinical Updates and Practical Applications. Drs. Tempany and Jolesz to present.
- BWH Bulletin: Neurosurgical Surgical Molecular Imaging Lab Opens
- Fall 2009: Special Delivery Article Proto Magazine Featuring Nathan McDannold: Targeted Drug Delivery
- November 18, 2009: 10:45 am - 12:00 noon AHA/NHLBI/SCMR 8th Annual Workshop on Cardiovascular Interventional MRI. Ehud Schmidt presenting.
- November 5-7, 2009: NCI Translation Science Meeting, Vienna, VA. Abstract "Standardized Network Communication for MRI-guided Robotic Prostate Interventions" (Clare M. Tempany, Gabor Fichtinger, E. Clif Burdette) will be presented as part of the Interventive Devices Pathway Poster Discussion Session.
- October 26-30, 2009: MRI/CT Update Postgraduate Course, BWH. Dr. Tempany and Dr. Golby will be presenting at this event.
- October 6, 2009: Grand Rounds BWH Fiona Fennessy, MD, PhD, presents: "Magnetic Resonance guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery: Current Uses and Future Directions"
- October 3, 2009: Alex Golby and Nathalie Agar presenting as part of a Meningioma Science Panel on The Promise of Personalized Medicine Brain Science Foundation Meningioma Awareness Day
- September 29, 2009: Sentinelle Medical: Aegis Software Demonstration and Discussion
- September 15, 2009: Spain Visit
- September 15, 2009: Invivo. Prostate Demonstration and Discussion
- September 14, 2009: BRI Technology Innovation Program-CIMIT Fall Symposium. Dr. Tempany presents "Clinical Innovation in Image-guided Therapy"
- September 10, 2009: AdmeTech. Prostate Cancer Awareness Day at the Massachusetts State House
- August 25-27, 2009: IBMISPS (International Brain Mapping & Interoperative Surgical Planning Society) Harvard Conference Center, Boston MA. Dr. Jolesz was an invited lecturer. He presented "Operating Room of the Future".
- August 3, 2009: Boston Globe. Seung-Schik Yoo on Sleep deprivation and negative emotions
- July 22, 2009: Boston Globe Article featuring Ion Florin Talos Newly discovered image offers fresh insights
- July 2009: Bidirectional interface of Yale's BioImage Suite and BWH Slicer software in Neurosurgery. (http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Slicer3:VisualBlog)
- July 2009: Imaging toolkit software link added to the NIH funded software tool repository, NITRC: http://www.nitrc.org/projects/igt_fil/
- July 16-19, 2009: 9th International Congress on Genitourinary Malignancies, Washington DC, Dr. Tempany was an invited faculty member presenting on Prostate Imaging
- July 13, 2009: 2:00 - 3:30 PM. MRI/MRS Research Seminar Series, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dr. Ehud Schmidt, Director, Engineering Physics presented, "MRI-Guided Electro-Physiological Interventions, Accomplishments & Remaining Hurdles"
- July 11, 2009: Annual Meeting of the Japan Academy of Neurosonology, Osaka, Japan. Dr. Jolesz was and invited lecturer and presented " The Future of Intraoperative MRI".
- June 22, 2009: Boston Globe article featuring NCIGT FUS Core BBB work.June 22, 2009, Boston Globe. McDannold on Seeking Pathway into Brain
- June 25-27, 2009: Minimally Invasive Intervention for localized Prostate Cancer Course, NYU School of Medicine, Dr. Tempany was an invited lecturer presenting on MRI-Guided Prostate Biopsy
- June 14, 2009: Intraoperative Imaging Society Meeting, Istanbul,Turkey, Dr. Jolesz was an invited lecturer. Title of his talk was Future of Introperative MRI
- June 6-7, 2009: ISMRM Weekend Case-Based Clinical Education Program, New York, Dr. Tempany was an invited lecturer and presented on Body MR http://www.ismrm.org/workshops/CBC-NY/index.htm
- June 1-4, 2009: Practical MR Imaging of the Abdomen and Pelvis, BWH. Dr. Tempany gave a presentation on the Prostate and MR Sequences Pelvis
- May 26, 2009:CIMIT Forum Plan - "Living Laboratories" Across the Continuum of Care: Innovative Spaces and Virtual Places,Clare Tempany presents "Advanced Procedure Room"
- April 2009: Prostate MRI Robot Article in Medical Design.
Year 4(June 1, 2008 - May 30, 2009)
NCIGT Presence at High Impact Conferences
- April 18-24, 2009: ISMRM, Hawaii. NCIGT members presented 13 posters, 4 E-Posters and 5 talks.
- November 30, 2008: 2008 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago IL. NCIGT members presented 10 scientific papers, 2 educational exhibits, and 3 invited lectures in courses.
- November 2-5, 2008: 2008 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Beijing, China. NCIGT member gave 10 presentations.
- September 10-13, 2008: Internationall Symposium for Therapeutic Ultrasound, Minneapolis. NCIGT members gave 2 presentations.
- September 6-10, 2008: MICCAI, New York. NCIGT members presented 3 posters and conducted 5 courses.
Meetings Hosted (or co-hosted) by NCIGT
- February 16-20, 2009: HMS/BWH's MRI 2009, Chaired by Drs. Tempany and Jolesz, Boston
- April 3-7, 2009: Society for Thermal Medicine, Tucson, Arizona. Nathan McDannold, PhD co-chair, Symposium III: New Developments in MR-Guided High Intensity Focused Ultrasound, with Chris Diederich, PhD.
- December 8-12, 2008: IGT Hands-on Week, Boston
- October 9, 2008: National Cancer Center Japanese Delegation Visit, BWH
- October 15-16, 2008: “Hands on Workshop for NA-MIC tool kit”, by Noby Hata, Robarts Institute, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada
- October 6-7, 2008: Focused Ultrasound Surgery Foundation's MRgFUS Intl Symposium in Washington DC. Ferenc Jolesz and Clare Tempany served as panel moderators.
- September 12, 2008: 7th Interventional MRI Symposium http://imri2008.com/, Baltimore MD
- September 26, 2008: Prostate Imaging and Intervention Symposium, Boston
- September 6, 2008: Brain Science Foundation Meningioma Awareness Day, Boston.
- July 23, 2008: Yale IGT Visit to BWH for Brainlab Integration with Slicer, Boston
- June 26, 2008: Slicer Tumor Growth Module for Neurosurgery Demo, Boston
- July 11, 2008: Slicer Introduction to Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto
- June 16-17, 2008: Slicer IGT workshop on invitation by German government, Munich, Germany
- June - November 2008: Teleconference Workshop of Slicer IGT for graduate students at Shanghai Jiaotong University (SJTU), Shanghai, China.
Fostering Industry-Academic Collaboration
- March 23-24, 2009: Brain FUS Meeting, DC.
- March 4, 2009: GE AMIGO Visit by Mike Barber
- March 31, 2009: Siemens Research Meeting, BWH
- February 2009: Industrial collaboration: 3D Slicer chosen as open source package by NDI (Northern Digital Inc.), a leader in 3D measurement technology for medical, industrial and research applications. NDI and NCIGT/NAMIC meet for first ever IGSTK User Group Meeting.NDI Press Release Using NCIGT Open Source Software
- February 7, 2009: Junichi Tokuda presented "Slicer and IGSTK integration: OpenIGTLink, A standardized communication protocol for image-guided surgery systems", IGSTK User Group Meeting.
- January 27, 2009: Traxtal Visit: Navigation Systems for Image Guided Interventions
- December 12, 2008: NCIGT Meeting with Sandeep Gupta, PhD, from GE Global Research Center to discuss MR DCE for Tissue Characterization.
- November 15, 2008: Presentations made to GE Global Research Center to Investigate Collaborations
- October 24, 2008: CMO of GE Healthcare Site Visit, Boston, MA
- October 28-29, 2008: CIMIT Innovation Congress 2008, Boston MA
NCIGT Scientific Presentations/Communications at Research Conferences, Workshops, Courses
- May 2009: Oral presentation. Radmanesh A, Whalen S, Zamani AA, Jolesz FA, Golby AJ. "Single-Tensor versus Two-Tensor Method in Diffusion Tensor Tractography to Demonstrate the Hand and Face Motor Fibers for Surgical Planning." 77th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), San Diego, CA.
- May 2009: Alex Golby, Oral Presentation. Golby A, review course on brain tumor, 77th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (ANNS), San Diego, CA.
- April 2009: Oral presentation. Radmanesh A, Zamani AA, Jolesz FA, Golby AJ. "Single-tensor versus Multitensor Tractography to Visualize the Corticospinal Tract for Neurosurgical Plannin." Annual meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), Boston, MA.
- April 2, 2009: "Modeling and Representation in Medical Image Analysis Lecture", presented by William M. Wells at Boston University.
- March 5, 2009: "Medical Image Modalities Lecture" presented by William M. Wlls, at MIT Course HST582.
- January 28, 2009: "MRI-guided Focused Ultrasound for Ablation and Drug Delivery", presentation by Nathan McDannold at Radiological Sciences Lab, Stanford University.
- January 24-29, 2009: "Pre-clinical evaluation of an MRI-guided transrectal focused ultrasound system for thermal ablation of prostate cancer in canines", presentation by Nathan McDannold at 2009 BiOS Biomedical Optics Symposium, SPIE.
- 2009. Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, Greg Clement presented "Focused Ultrasound", Tokyo.
- 2009. MRI-Guided Focused Ultrasound and the Brain Workshop, Nathan McDannold presented "Blood-brain #2009. MRI-Guided Focused Ultrasound and the Brain Workshop, Nathan McDannold presented Small Animal Models for Brain MRgFUS", Chantilly, VA.
- 2009. Society for Thermal Medicine, Nathan McDannold presented "MRI-guided focused ultrasound for the treatment of brain and prostate cancer," Tucson, AZ.
- 2009. MRI-Guided Focused Ultrasound and the Brain Workshop, Nathan McDannold presented Small Animal Models for Brain MRgFUS", Chantilly, VA.
- January 12-16, 2008: "Registration, Navigation, Calibration", presentation by Noby Hata, at 2008 Winter School on Medical Robotics, Johns Hopkins University.
- November 12, 2008: "Multimodality Image-Guided Therapy", presentation by Ferenc Jolesz at the Annual Biomedical Research Symposium, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- November 10-14, 2008: Acoustical Society of America, Miami, FL. NCIGT members gave 3 presentations.
- November 10, 2008: "Dynamic MRI Made Faster" presentation by Bruno Madore, Ph.D, at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center MRI/MRS Research Seminar Series, Boston.
- November 7, 2008: "Retroperitoneum and Pelvis Imaging" presentation by Clare Tempany, MD at the Human Body Course, Harvard Medical School.
- November 3, 2008: "Systems and Architectures for MRI-guided Robotic Interventions", presentation by Junichi Tokuda at the First Monday Seminar, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
- Oct 27- 31, 2008: MRI/CT Update, Boston.
- October 22, 2008: Nobuhiko Hata, gave a seminar titled "Role of Image Processing, Navigation and Robots in MRI-guided Intervention," Bioimaging Sciences Division, Department of Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Heaven, CT.
- October 17, 2008: Nobuhiko Hata presented a seminar titled "Role of Image Processing, Navigation and Robots in MRI-guided Intervention," Robarts Institute, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada.
- October 14, 2008: "Department of Radiology and NCIGT" presentation by Clare Tempany, MD at the Harvard Medical Student Research Open House for first year medical students, Boston.
- September 25-27, 2008: "Coregistration and display of pre and intra-operative multimodality brain mapping for surgical decision-making", presentation by Alex Golby, MD, at the Awake Surgery and Cognitive Mapping, Verona, Italy.
- September 2008: Oral presentation. Radmanesh A, Zamani AA, Kim J, Black PM, Jolesz FA, Golby AJ, Talos I. "Intraoperative MRI-guided brain biopsy using an open-configuration magnet: diagnostic yield and complication rate"; Oral presentation in the Seventh Interventional MRI symposium. Johns Hopkins University (CME), Baltimore, MD.
- September 2008: Clare Tempany, Invited Speaker, "MR Guided Biopsies/Musculoskeletal/Prostate Interventions/Guidance Techniques," at the 7th Interventional MR Symposium, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- September 2008: Robert Mulkern, "Basic Physics of Making an MR Image – and Dealing with that term bandwidth", Society of Magnetic Resonance Technologists, Southeast Regional Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.
- September 2008: Alex Golby, Oral presentation. Golby A. "Preoperative Planning." 6th International Congress on Meningioma and Cerebral Venous System, Boston, MA.
- August 12, 2008: NIDDK Technology in Urology and Nephrology Local Workshop, Cambridge, MA "Image Guided and Enabling Technologies in Genito-Urinary Disease", presentation by Clare Tempany, MD,
- August 12, 2008: NIDDK Technology in Urology and Nephrology Local Workshop, Cambridge, MA. "Future Concepts on the Use of Pre-Procedure Images for Real-Time Registration of Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Instruments. The Applicability of Image Guidance to Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery (NOTES) Procedures", presentation by Kirby Vosburgh
- August 2008: Robert Mulkern, "Basic MR Physics I, II, and III", Board Review Preparation lectures, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA.
- July 20-25, 2008: "DTI in White Matter: Improving clinical DTI for presurgical planning", presentation by Sharon Peled at IN VIVO MAGNETIC RESONANCE, NH.
- July 14-18 2008: "Tract-Based Morphometry: White Matter Tract Clustering and Correspondence in Populations", presentation by Lauren O'Donnell at the UCLA IPAM Summer School for Mathematics in Brain Imaging, Los Angeles.
- July 2008, Invited talk, “Pitfalls and Theoretic Underpinning of Diffusion Imaging and Tractography, with examples from neurosurgical planning,” at the In-Vivo Magnetic Resonance Gordon Research Conference, Andover, NH.
- July 2008: Steven Haker, “Introduction to Image registration" Lecture to students at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- June 23-25, 2008: "Robotics, MRI Guided Diagnosis and Therapy, Target Volume Localization", presentation by Clare Tempany, MD, at the Workshop on Issues in Clinical Prostate Cancer: Role of Imaging , National Cancer Institute, Bethesda.
- June 2008: Oral presentation. Radmanesh A, O’Donnell L, Whalen S, Jolesz FA, Golby AJ. Comparison of three methods of seeding to demonstrate the hand area white matter fibers with diffusion tensor tractography.” at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR); New Orleans, LA.
- 2008. Alex Golby, Oral presentation. "Advanced Approaches for Pre-operative Language Mapping." International Brain Mapping and Intraoperative Planning Society, Los Angeles, CA
- 2008. Alex Golby, Oral presentation. Annual Harvard tumors of the Central Nervous system, Boston, MA
- 2008. Oral presentation. Qazi A, Kindlmann G, O’Donnell L, Peled S, Radmanesh A, Whalen S. Golby AJ, Westin CF. “Two-tensor streamline tractography through white matter intra-voxel fiber crossings: assessed by fmri”; poster presented at IEEE workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA). Anchorage, Alaska.
- 2008. 10th International Conference on Hyperthermic Oncology/Society for Thermal Medicine, Nathan McDannold presented, "MRI-guided focused ultrasound for thermal ablation and drug delivery", Munich, Germany.
- 2008. The BWH Biomedical Research Institute Imaging Program Seminar in Functional and Molecular Imaging, Nathan McDannold presented "Targeted imaging and therapy using ultrasound", Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2008. Radiology Grand Rounds, Greg Clement presented on HIFU therapy, Children’s Hospital Boston, MA.
- 2008. Special Session on Transducers for medical imaging and therapy, Joint meetings of the Acoustical Society of America, the European Acoustics Association, and the Société Française d’Acoustique, Presented by Greg Clement, Paris, France, 2008
- 2008. Special Session on Biomedical Applications of Time Reversal, , Joint meetings of the Acoustical Society of America, the European Acoustics Association, and the Société Française d’Acoustique, Presented by Greg Clement, Paris, France, 2008
- 2008. "Neuro-applications of ultrasound" Presented by Greg Clement, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.
- 2008. 29th Annual Meeting of Japan Society for Laser Surgery and Medicine, Greg Clement presented "Medical applications of ultrasound in neurosurgery Neuro-applications of ultrasound" Tokyo, Japan.
Year 3 (June 1, 2007-May 30, 2008)
- May 28, 2008: May 28, 2008 GE Corporate Research and Development visit
- May 23, 2008: Dr. Mulkern presented, Combining SENSE and GRAPPA to improve parallel MR Imaging, at Wake-Forest University’s ANSIR Seminar, NC
- 2008 May 15, 2008: May 15, 2008 Insightec Mini Symposium
- May 19, 2008: Dr. Archip presented, Computational methods for medical image analysis, at the University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
- May 6, 2008: Dr. Tempany visited Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, Canada, met with the OR leadership, and presented, "National Center for Image guided therapy: Mission and Organizational Overview"
- Spring 2008: NCI's Cancer Bulletin's Coverage of NCIGT
- May 2008: ISMRM. NCIGT faculty presented 2 scientific talks and 16 posters and presented/chaired 2 courses.
- Real-time MR Imaging Controlled by Transperineal Needle Placement Device for MRI-guided Prostate Biopsy and Brachytherapy. Tokuda J, DiMaio S, Fischer G, Csoma C, Gobbi D, Fichtinger G, Hata N, Tempany C,
- Combining 2D RF excitation, parallel imaging and UNFOLD in Focused Ultrasound heating experiment. Mei C.S., Yuan J, Madore B, McDannold N, Panych L,
- MRI-guided focused ultrasound-enhanced chemotherapy of 9L rat gliosarcoma: Survival study. Treat L, Zhang Y, McDannold N, Hynynen K,
- Preclinical testing of a second-generation MRI-guided focused ultrasound system for transcranial brain tumor ablation. McDannold N, Zadicario E, Pilatou M, Jolesz F,
- Clinical Use of Robot Assistance in MR Image-Guided Microwave Thermocoagulation Therapy of Liver Tumors. Morikawa S, Inubishi T, Murakami K,Naka S, Kurumi Y, Tani T, Haque HA, Tokuda J and Hata N,
- iMRI Data Repository for Validation of Brain Non-Rigid Registration Algorithms. Archip N, Talos I-F
- Comparison of Fat-Water Separation by 2D RF Pulse and Dixon method in Balanced Steady-State Free Precession. Yuan J, Madore B, Panych L,
- Images of Restricted Water In Brain With Applications To Neurosurgery. Peled S, Whalen S, Jolesz F, Golby A.,
- Dynamic imaging methods assessed with a 2D MTF approach. Madore B
- Independent Vector Analysis for Group fMRI Processing. Lee J-H, Marzelli M, Jolesz FA, Yoo S-S,
- Lung Volume and Motion measured by Dynamic 3D MRI using a 128- channel Receiver Coil. Tokuda J, Schmitt M, Sun Y, Tang y, Patz S, Mountford CE, Hata N, Wald L, Hatabu H,
- Ultra-short 2D RF pulse for reduced field-of-view SSFP imaging. Yuan J, Mei C-S, Panych L-P,
- Improved image reconstruction for partial Fourier gradient-echo EPI. Chen N-K, Oshio K, Panych L.P,
- Optimizing 3D EPI with k-space energy spectrum analysis (KESA). Wu M-L, Panych L, Chen N-K,
- Temperature monitoring with MURPS in a reduced field-of-view. Aljallad M.H., Yuan J, Pilatou M, Panych LP,
- Quantification of white matter fiber orientation at tumor margins with diffusion tensor invariant gradients. Kindlmann G, Whalen S, Suarez R.O., Golby A.J., Westin C-F
ii. Scientific Presentations:
- MRI-guided focused ultrasound-enhanced chemotherapy of 9L rat gliosarcoma: Survival study. Lisa Treat
- iMRI Data Repository for Validation of Brain Non-Rigid Registration Algorithms. Nicu Archip
- Clinical Categorical Course, Title: Thermal Therapy & Focused Ultrasound, Chair Dr. McDannold
- Structural Artifact Correction on MRI artifacts, including EPI distortion, Tutorial by Dr. Wells
- May 2008: Clare Tempany, Invited Speaker, “Image Guided Intervention: Where Can The Future Lead,” at the 18th Annual Robin C. Watson Lecture, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY.
- May 2008: Robert Mulkern, “High b diffusion imaging in the brain: Ruminations and experimental insights. Invited Lecture at the International School on Magnetic Resonance and Brain Function, 6th course: Magnetic Resonance Combined with Electrophysiology and with Molecular and Pharmaceutical Action for the Study of Brain Function, Erice, Italy.
- May 2008: Dr. Cormack presented Image Guided Interstitial Brachytherapy at the World Conference of Brachytherapy in Boston,
- May 2, 2008: Dr. Hata gave a talk, Role of Image Processing, Navigation and Robots in MRI-guided Intervention, at the Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- May 12, 2008: 18th Annual Robin C Watson Lecture, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center NY."Image Guided Intervention: Where Can The Future Lead". Guest Speaker Clare Tempany.
- April 28, 2008: Visit from Henan China iMRI site
- April 7, 2008: Dr. Wu presented, Brain Function Studies using bSSFP technique, at the Brain Imaging and Analysis Center,Duke University in NC
- April 2008: Dr. McDannold presented MRI-guided Focused Ultrasound for Thermal Ablation and Drug Delivery at the 10th International Conference on Hyperthermic Oncology, Munich, Germany.
- April 2008, Clare Tempany, Invited Speaker, “Prostate Imaging and Intervention Update,” at the Genitourinary Oncology Seminar Series, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA.
- March 20, 2008: MR guided focused ultrasound featured at Society of Interventional Radiology, March 15-20, Washington, DC, Drug Delivery : HIFU ablation + enhanced drug delivery with focused US, Speaker: Nathan McDonnold
- March 10-11, 2008: Clinical IGT Workshop, Washington DC at which there were 127 attendees representing 50 different institutions (50 people around posters at peak of poster session that included 34 posters)
- March 14, 2008: Dr. Tohru Tani's visit from Shiga, Japan
- March 2008: Dr. Clement presented, Transskull Shear-Mode Imaging, at AMEDD, at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX
- March 2008: Society of Interventional Radiology’s Annual Scientific Meeting Dr. Clement presented, Transcranial Focused Ultrasound, Dr. McDannold presented HIFU Ablation + Enhanced Drug Delivery with Focused Ultrasound
- March 2008: Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST 563), Lecture on Interventional MRI by Hata, Kikinis, and Tempany
- March 2008: Dr. Farny gave talk, Clinical and Research Applications of Ultrasound in Medicine, at Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI
- March 2008: Dr. Mulkern presented, Basic Physics of Making an MR Image and Dealing with that term “bandwidth,” at the Society of MR Technologists (SMRT) President’s Regional Seminar, Greenville, NC
- Feb 7, 2008: Cleveland Clinic Outreach Visit at CIMIT
- February 19, 2008: Dr. Panych presented, Improving Spatial Localization in MR spectroscopic imaging, at Duke (NC) University Brain Imaging and Analysis Ctr.
- February 2008: Dr. McDannold presented, Noninvasive therapies using focused ultrasound under MRI guidance, at Taiwan’s 2nd International Symposium on Animal Molecular Imaging
- February 15, 2008: Dr. Mulkern presented, Real-time MR Imaging Using Parallel Data Acquisition and Fast Regularized Reconstruction, NEAAPM, Newton, MA
- January 2008: Dr. Maier presented, Characterizing Biological Tissues by Random Motion of Water Molecules, at Université de Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2008: Dr. Tempany gave lecture, Prostate Imaging and Intervention, at DFCI Seminar
- December 12-14, 2007: Slicer IGT Engineering Workshop at 1249 Boylston - get details from events page
- December 2007: Dr. Mulkern presented, Ruminations and Experimental Perspectives on the non-monoexponential nature of diffusion decay (S vs B curves) in normal and pathological brain tissues, at the JHU Medical School, Baltimore, MD
- December 3-4, 2007: 15th Annual Tumors of the Central Nervous System, Brain Tumor Management, Boston, MA. Drs. Alex Golby, Peter Black, past IGT fellow Elizabeth Claus and IGT fellowship program advisor Patrick Wen presented. Dr. Golby spoke on Brain Mapping in Glioma Management. Dr. Golby presented, Brain Mapping in Glioma Management, at the 15th Annual Tumors of the Central Nervous System Conference in Boston
- November 6, 2007: Mathematical Methods for Medical Image Analysis] Neculai Archip gave the invited talk "Medical Image Analysis for Image Guided Therapy"
- November 2007: Dr. McDannold presented, Temporary blood-brain Barrier Disruption via Focused Ultrasound for Targeted Drug Delivery in the Brain, at the Acoustical Society of America in New Orleans, LA
- November 2007: MICCAI. NCIGT faculty presented 9 papers and 3 courses.
- Geodesic-Loxodromes for Diffusion Tensor Interpolation and Difference Measurement. Gordon Kindlmann, Raúl San José Estépar, Marc Niethammer, Steven Haker,Carl-Fredrik Westin
- Outlier Rejection for Diffusion Weighted Images. Marc Niethammer, Sylvain Bouix, Santiago Aja Fernandez, Carl-Fredrik Westin, Martha Shenton
- Hyperspherical von Mises-Fisher (HvMF) Mixture Modelling of High Angular Resolution Diffusion MRI. Abhir Bhalerao, Carl-Fredrik Westin,
- Nonlinear Registration of Diffusion MR Images Based on Fiber Bundles. Ulas Ziyan, Mert Rory Sabuncu, Lauren J. O'Donnell, Carl Fredrik Westin
- Robotic Assistant for Transperineal Prostate Interventions in 3T Closed MRI. Gregory Fischer, Simon DiMaio, Iulian Iordachita, Gabor Fichtinger
- Application of Open Source Image Guided Therapy Software in MR-guided. Nobuhiko Hata, Steve Pieper, Ferenc Jolesz, Clare Tempany, Peter Black, Shigehiro Morikawa, Hiroshi Iseki, Makoto Hashizume, Ron Kikinis,
- Dynamic MRI Scan Plane Control for Passive Tracking of Instruments and Devices. Simon DiMaio, Eigil Samset, Gregory Fischer, Iulian Iordachita, Gabor Fichtinger, Ferenc Jolesz, Clare Tempany,
- Tract-Based Morphometry. Lauren J. O'Donnell, Carl-Fredrik Westin, Alexandra J. Golby,
- Non-rigid registration of pre-procedural MR images with intra-procedural unenhanced CT images for improved targeting of tumors during liver radiofrequency ablations. Neculai Archip, Servet Tatli, Paul Morrison, Ferenc Jolesz, Simon Warfield, Stuart Silverman
- Advances in Diffusion MRI Analysis: Fundamental computational research driven by relevant biological questions. Led by: Carl-Fredrik Westin, Guido Gerig, Ragini Verma,
- Open Source and Open Data for MICCAI. Led by: Stephen Aylward, Tina Kapur, Luis Ibanez, Kevin Cleary,
- Statistical Registration: Pair-wise and Group-wise Alignment and Atlas Formation. Led by: Lilla Zollei, William Wells, Mark Jenkinson
- November 2007: Dr. Archip presented, Medical Image Analysis for Image Guided Therapy, Mathematical Methods for Medical Image Analysis, in Banff, Canada
- November 2007: RSNA. NCIGT faculty presented 5 papers and 2 courses.
- Predicted Prostate Cooling from a Water Cooled Focused Ultrasound Rectal Probe Utilizing MRI Dynamic Contrast Enhanced Perfusion Measurements, Clare Tempany-Afdhal, Nathan McDannold,
- A New Method for Improving Spatial Socalization in MR Spectroscopic Imaging of the Prostate, Lawrence Panych, Joseph Roebuck, Robert Mulkern, Bruno Madore, Nankuei Chen,
- Human Pulmonary Physiology with Hyperpolarized 129Xe, Samuel Patz, James Butler, Iga Muradyan, Mirko Hrovat, F. Hersman, Hiroto Hatabu, et al.
- Fast, Mathematically Exact K-Space Sample Density Compensation for Rotationally Symmetric Interleaved Trajectories, and the Optimal Signal-to Noise Ratio Reconstruction of Samples Arranged on Non-Cartesian Grids, Dimitris Mitsouras, Robert Mulkern, Frank Rybicki,
- A Novel Method for Improved Targeting of Abdominal Interventions Using Nonrigid Registration of Preprocedural Contrast-enhanced MRI with Intraprocedural Unenhanced CT, Neculai Archip, Servet Tatli, Paul Morrison, Simon Warfield, Stuart Silverman
- Dr. Tempany gave lecture tited, "MR Intervention for Dummies,"at MR Minicourse “Optimize Your Body MR Practice—From Safety to Protocol Design: 3-T Body MR Imaging and Intervention”,
- Dr. Tempany gave lecture titled Image-guided Thermal Therapy of Uterine Fibroids at the Categorical Course “Imaging Technologies in Oncology”- session “Abdominal Oncologic Imaging”, chaired by Dr. Hazel
- November 2007: Dr. Hata presented, Navigation Needs in Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery, at the 16th Annual Meeting of Japan Society of Computer Aided Surgery, in Hiroshima, Japan
- October 2007: Dr. O’Donnell presented, Corticial Spine Tract Tractography, at the NA-MIC Tractography Meeting, Santa Fe, NM
- October 2007: Dr. Maier presented, Measuring Water Diffusion in Biological Tissues, at the Seminar at EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
- October 2007: Dr. Tempany gave, Amigo Overview: Integration of Multi-Modalities of Imaging into the OR, at CIMIT Innovation Congress
- October 2007: Dr. Clement presented, Focused Ultrasound Therapy for Review on Translational Oncology, at the US Army Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center in Fort Detrick, MD
- October 2007: Dr. Clement presented, Transcranial Ultrasound Therapy, the Society of Interventional Radiology
- October 2007: Dr. Golby presented, Imaging of Gliomas, at the International Conference on Glioma Research and Therapy in Boston
- October 2007: Dr. Cormack was a Faculty Member at the Harvard Medical School’s Third Annual Brachytherapy Review in Boston
- Oct 17, 2007. Brain Mapping Seminar Scott Hoge gave an invited talk on parallel imaging at the MGH Brainmap seminar series, demonstrating a portion of the fast imaging library.
- Oct 10-13, 2007 International Conference on Glioma Research and Therapy Alex Golby and Peter Black spoke on glioma imaging and therapy.
- October 22-26, 2007, MR/CT Update: Drs. Jolesz and Tempany directed the 30th annual, highly acclaimed postgraduate course that emphasizes clinical MRI and CT. It is designed for practitioners using MRI, and multidetector CT, and those who wish to learn the latest applications from experts.
- October 2007: NCIGT Lego Based Robotics Tutorial discovered by WizKidz Science and Technology Centers, a pre-college after school program in robotics, engineering and aerospace for under-served Middle and High School students in the metro Atlanta area. Teams have started working together to explore how our work could be incorporated in their program.
- September 20, 2007: Dr. Yuan presented, Ultra Fast Echo-Planar 2D RF Pulses with Variable- Rate Selective Excitation, at the UCSF in San Francisco
- September 2007: Dr. Tempany lectured for the Prostate Health Education Network (PHEN) at the African American Prostate Cancer Disparity Summit
- September 2007: Dr. Tempany served on Faculty at AdMeTech Foundation/4th International Innovative Solutions for Prostate Cancer Conference, Washington, DC
- August 2007: Clare Tempany, M.D., presented on the latest advances in diagnostic imaging at the BWH Ninth Annual Prostate Care Symposium where 300 people were in attendance.
- August 2007: Dr. Golby presented Image Guided Surgery, at the International Brain Mapping & Intraoperative Surgical Planning Society, Washington DC
- July 2007: Dr. Clement presented, Perspectives in Cancer Treatment and was Workshop Leader at Integration of Science into Society in KAIST, Korea
- July 2007: Dr. Tempany presented, MR-Guided Prostate Imaging, at DFCC’s PHEN to a patient Support Group for African American men with prostate cancer
- July 2007: Dr. Tempany presented, MR of the prostate, at the Prostate Patients’ Annual Symposium, a BWH/Dana Farber Cancer Center-sponsored event
- June 2007: Dr. Clement presented, Perspectives on Transcranial Focused Ultrasound, at Korea’s International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound
- June 2007: Dr. Clement presented, Focused Ultrasound in the Brain, at the 7th International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound, Seoul, Korea, and served as Chairman of the Ultrasound Physics session.
- June 21, 2007: Dr. Mulkern presented, Fast Regularized Parallel MR Imaging, at the University of Utah’s Radiology Department
- May 2007: Dr. Hata presented a Navigational Aids for MR Image-guided Interventions Education Course on MR Interventions: A Hands-on Approach, at the Annual Meeting of International Society on MR in Medicine, Berlin, Germany.
- May 2007: Dr. Tempany presented Image Guided Intervention of the Prostate and the Future of IGT at the ISMRM meeting and at meeting symposium on Preparing for MRI and MR guided interventions/SMRT, served as along with Cindy Comeau RT NYC and Charles T Stanley CRA, RT (R)(CT)(MR)
- May 2007: Dr. Golby spoke at the Brain Science Foundation’s Meningioma Awareness Day in Boston
- May 2007: Dr. Maier presented, Brain Tissue Microstructure Elucidated with MR Diffusion Imaging, at the Intl School on MR and Brain Function in Sicily, Italy
- 2007: Dr. Tempany presented, MR Imaging: Diagnosis and Treatment, at the Annual Imaging Symposium, St Jude’s Medical in Memphis, TN
- 2007: Dr. Hata hosted visitor Dr. Lixu Gu, from Shanghai Jiaotong University in China for the purpose of establishing a collaboration with IGT Slicer. The visit led to a collaboration with Roberts Institute and Dr. Gu to develop 3D Ultrasound for use in IGT.
- 2007: Dr. McDannold presented Blood-brain Barrier Disruption with Focused Ultrasound, at the National Institutes of Health.
- 2007: Dr. Hata presented, Image Guided Robotics, Imaging Science and Information Systems Ctr, at Georgetown (DC) University Medical Center
- 2007: Dr. Cormack presented, Quality Assurance Issues for CT, Ultrasound and MR guided Brachytherapy, at the ASTRO QA Symposium in Dallas, TX
- 2007: Dr. Cormack presented, Dosimetry of Interstitial Implants, at the ABS School of Gynecologic Brachytherapy in Chicago, IL
Year 2 (June 1, 2006-May 30, 2007)
Publications: We are pleased to report that at the time of the preparation of this report, Medline had already indexed 46 publications enabled by NCIGT. This search can be performed using the URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed&term=RR019703.
Dr. Jolesz edited a special issue of Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Vol.17) in which the MRI-guided FUS technology and its clinical applications were presented. Several investigators from our Center contributed. Drs. Jolesz and Hynynen just completed the editing of the first book about MRI-guided focused ultrasound available in September 2007. Several of our investigators contributed to this work. In addition Dr. Jolesz is the editor of a neuro-oncologic imaging book in which image guided neurosurgery is featured. A special issue of the Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging about Interventional MRI is also in preparation. Dr. Jolesz is co-editing this as several of our investigators contribute.
Wiki: The Wiki continues to be used for day-to-day communication within the Center, including the recording of highlights of various meetings. All team members, members of the EAB, and several collaborators have access to this Wiki. In the first nine months of the center, we reported 150 users and 200 Wiki pages. Since then, the number of users has roughly stayed the same, but the number of content pages has climbed to 500, and the number of files (Powerpoints, images, typically) to 1,000.
Website: In addition to updating the public website for the Center, we worked with NAC and NA-MIC to create a content management infrastructure that allows seamless content sharing between the "lab notebook" style constantly-changing Wiki, and the "printed brochure"-style finished website. This website for the Surgical Planning Lab, or SPL, is being currently migrated to this infrastructure, and we expect to migrate NCIGT content to it in the next year.
Workshops/Meetings: In addition to participating at scientific meetings, the following are some key dissemination events for our Center:
- April 12, 2006: The Prostate Core hosted Dr. Dan Stoanovci, Johns Hopkins University, who gave a presentation on his “MR BOT” device. The group discussed the robotic device and its possible implementation in a closed bore MR system.
- July, 2006: Biomedical Engineer-in-Chief, Dan Kacher, visited the Mayo Clinic where he met with Maureen Johnson of its iMRI program to exchange ideas about safety and patient flow for AMIGO-guided neurosurgery.
- July 13, 2006: The BWH Sixth Annual Symposium on Prostate Cancer was held in Newton, MA and attended by over 200 patients. Anthony V. D'Amico, M.D., Ph.D., Chief, Prostate Cancer Radiation Oncology Service; Jerome P. Richie, M.D., Chief of Urology; and Dr. Tempany, Director, Clinical Magnetic Resonance Imaging, presented the latest information on detection and staging, innovative treatment options, advanced outcome assessment techniques, and future on the prevention of prostate cancer. Patients also had the opportunity to talk with speakers through a question-and-answer session and reception.
- September 17-19, 2006: The Symposium on Interventional MRI was held in Leipzig with over a hundred participants. Dr. Jolesz was the co-chair of this event.
- October 19-20, 2006: The Workshop on Open System Architecture for IGT was held in Rockville, M.D. with over 75 NIH-funded thought leaders in attendance. Dr. Jolesz chaired this workshop. A paper, prepared to summarize the highlights of the workshop, was accepted for publication in a special issue of Neuroimage.
- October 26, 2006: The Prostate Core hosted Ernest Feleppa, Ph.D., Riverside Institute, NY, who made a presentation regarding spectral ultrasound analysis on prostate ultrasound images. The group discussions involved a proposal for a possible BRP collaboration. Over the ensuing months this possible collaboration evolved and resulted in a submission to the NIH in Jan 2007.
- November 11-12, 2006: The Symposium on MRI-Guided Cryotherapy was held in Beijing, China with 200 attendees. Dr. Jolesz, M.D., was co-chair, along with Zhengyu Jin, M.D., Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China, and Lei Zhao, Ph.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston. Symposium faculty were: Dr. Jolesz along with Drs. Zhengyu Jin, M.D., Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Lei Zhao, Ph.D., BWH, Kim Butts-Pauly, Ph.D., from Stanford University, John Carrino M.D., M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, and James Coad, M.D., West Virginia University, along with BWH's Janice Fairhurst, B.S., R.T., Daniel Kacher, M.S., Angela Kanan, B.S.N., R.N., Paul R. Morrison, M.S., Stuart G. Silverman, M.D., and Kemal Tuncali M.D.
- December 12, 2006: Daniel Vingeron, UCSF, returned to visit and present an update of his work in high-field multi-parametric prostate imaging. The group discussed the novel C13 metabolic probe work and the detection of lactate in vivo.
- April 2007: Dr. Tao Jiang (neurosurgery) and Dr. Lin Ai (neuroradiology) of Tiantan Hospital visited us to learn to launch an MRI-guided neurosurgery program. As part of the visit, our software applications engineer, Haiying Liu, presented a lecture on our Slicer software in Chinese. Angela Kanan, Dan Kacher, Geoff Young, Dr. Jolesz, Kemal Tuncali, and Michael Scott (Children's Hospital iMRI) participated in this dissemination activity as well.
- May 5, 2007: The First Annual Meningioma Awareness Day was held in Boston to raise community awareness of available treatment options. Dr. Alexandra Golby presented at this event.
- May 8, 2007: A team of physicians and administrators from Yale were hosted at the NCIGT to aid their understanding about site planning, logistics, costs and future applications concerning a neuro OR/interventional MR facility that is being built within a new hospital (opening in 2009). Drs. Jolesz and Tempany led the discussion with the Yale attendees who included: John Aruny, M.D., Chief of Interventional Radiology; Denise Fiore, Executive Director of Radiology and Lab Services; Marjorie Guglin, V.P. of Surgical Services; Patrick Luddy, V.P. of Facilities Planning and Management; Joseph Piepmeier, M.D., Vice Chair of Neurosurgery; and Doug Vaughn, M.D., Director of Perioperative Services.
- June 13, 2007: In partnership with the DF/HCC, Dr. Tempany spoke at Prostate Health Education Network (PHEN) to raise awareness of available prostate cancer treatment options.
- Dan Kacher lectured twice per semester on the topic of IGT for an engineering survey course for sophomore-level undergraduate students at Boston University.
- Florin Talos and Dan Kacher collaborated with Simona Socrates, Alex Slocum, and Asha Balakrishnan of the MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering. A device was designed and constructed to record biomechanical data from the brain that will be used by our group to better understand the phenomenon of brainshift observed during image-guided neurosurgery. The data also serves as pilot data within MIT to investigate blunt trauma to the brain.
- Dan Kacher advised a group of senior project students at Northeastern University on the development of a device for tracking surgical tools in the AMIGO operating room to ensure the instruments do not inadvertently enter the MRI room where they may become dangerous projectiles. (Y1, Y2)
Visitors: Since the inception of the Center, we have hosted over 40 visitors to our facility (Appendix A), and provided dissemination to them in small groups.
Year 1 (June 1, 2005-May 30, 2006)
The dissemination effort has focused on three types of activities: creation of an external website, development of an internal web-based collaborative documentation site, and planning of workshops. Specifically, the following has been accomplished:
Website: A website (http://www.ncigt.org) was setup to communicate progress in the Center to the research community.
Wiki: An internal web-based collaborative documentation system (http://wiki.ncigt.org) was setup using an open source software package called Mediawiki. This wiki is used for day-to-day communication within the Center, including to record highlights of various meetings that take place in the Center. All team members, members of the External Advisory Board (EAB), and several collaborators have access to this wiki. In the first nine months of the Center, there were about 150 users and 200 pages on the wiki. There were a total of 25,057 page views and about 6,128 page edits since the wiki was setup. That comes to 2.61 average edits per page, and 4.09 views per edit.
Workshop Planning and Meetings: In October 2005, a group of researchers in IGT came together to form an informal IGT consortium. These included participants from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins University, Brigham and Women's Hospital, GE Healthcare, and Kitware. A full-day meeting was held in November 2005 to discuss common issues in IGT Software Architectures, and another one was held in February 2006 to plan a workshop in IGT Open System Architecture.
Plans for Year 2: The dissemination effort in Year 2 will focus on the continuation of web and wiki infrastructure from the first year, and organization of meetings and external collaborations. Two specific meetings have been planned:
- Symposium on Interventional MRI is planned for September 17-19, 2006 in Leipzig. Dr. Jolesz is the chair.
- Workshop on Open System Architecture for IGT is planned for October 19-20, 2006 in Rockville, MD. Dr. Randy Ellis from the NCIGT is chairing this effort with organizational advice from Dr. Kevin Cleary of Georgetown and Dr. Stephen Aylward of Kitware.